Sunday, April 12, 2009

Conflicts at work: Scheduling

In workplaces that don't follow a "traditional" 9-5 schedule and/or workplaces that schedule employees to perform specific tasks during their shifts (such as covering the circulation desk at a certain time), conflicts can arise over scheduling. Some shifts - usually nights, weekends, and the time around holidays - are considered less desirable than others, and employees can become resentful of management if they feel that their schedules contain more of the undesirable shifts. Meanwhile, management can become resentful of employees whose availability seems to change every week, who seem to be ducking out of undesirable shifts, or who trade shifts back and forth without telling anyone else of the changes.

Even small, seemingly one-time conflicts over scheduling can add up to a constant stream of resentment in a workplace with a large number of employees. When I was primarily responsible for scheduling, I had a three-part strategy for avoiding conflicts over the schedule and diffusing any resentment that might arise.

First, I required documentation. I kept a central calendar of all scheduling requests and a binder containing general availabilities. Requests for time off needed to be given to me in writing, and I responded in writing as quickly as possible. If employees switched shifts, they needed to inform me in writing so that I could change the schedule. The documentation helped to ensure that employees and management communicated clearly with each other regarding the schedule and that there would not be "he said, she said" arguments if a time-off request was not granted or if an employee traded shifts and then failed to show up at the new time.

Second, I made it clear that I was ready to listen to any complaints about scheduling. I tried to create equitable schedules and to remember everyone's availabilities, but I knew that occasionally I overlooked something or made a mistake. I encouraged employees to let me know immediately if a schedule had problems in it. If I overheard grumbling or saw someone make a face while looking at a newly-posted schedule, I asked them to tell me what was wrong.

Third, when they told me what was wrong, I actually listened. Naturally, my instinctive response was usually to be defensive - how dare they be so difficult and complain about such small things? didn't they know how hard it was to create a weekly schedule that took into account the shifting needs of a large business as well as the shifting needs and preferences of forty-odd employees? - but I also knew that to them, any scheduling error or inequity appeared to be a great injustice that showed how little they were valued. If I had forgotten a documented scheduling conflict, I apologized and adjusted the schedule immediately. If the problem was a perceived inequity, I might work with them and with other managerial staff to adjust future schedules. At the very least, I would try to explain why the schedule was the way it was without sounding like I was discounting or devaluing their concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment